“From the Heart” teaching by Drs. Rodney & Adonica Howard-Browne.
Foundation Scriptures: Colossians 3:5-25
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11 Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. 12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. 18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. 20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. 21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. 22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism. Colossians 3:5-25 NIV
1. In the Family, we have been raised to a new life through Jesus Christ—He was raised to new life therefore we have been raised up with Him.
- We are to seek the rich eternal treasures that are above—in the Heavenlies.
- Set your mind on the higher things.
- You died with Him, you were buried with Him and you have been raised to new life with Him.
- Putting off the old—verses 5-9
- Putting on the new—verses 10-12
2. Your conduct in the Family of God.
- Forgiving one another—verse 13
- Put on love—verse 14
- Let peace rule—verse 15
- Be thankful—verse 15
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord—verse 16
- Whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him—verse 17
3. Christian family conduct.
- Husbands; wives; children; parents; fathers; servants.
- The Word of God must be the foundation for our lives.
4. Foundational things you must do in order to live your life prosperously and effectively in the Family of God.
- Decide to obey God’s Word and take it as the written, spoken, God-breathed pattern for your life in the Family.
- Don’t be conformed to the world—its ways and ideologies.
- Don’t be persuaded by outside influences—be controlled by the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is the One who has been sent to help you live your life in the Family.
- He will constrain and restrain you and also release, empower and enable you to live by the grace of God to handle any situation that might come your way.
NB You are part of the Family of God in Heaven and Earth!© Copyright 2017 admin, All rights Reserved. Written For: Rodney Howard Browne