“From the Heart” teaching by Drs. Rodney & Adonica Howard-Browne.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. Psalm 1:1- 3 KJV
When you put God’s word first place in your life, and when you receive only His counsel for your life (and no other), then His word will cause you to prosper and be blessed. In this passage of scripture we see the progression that takes place in a person’s life — from Walk to Stand to Sit.The Word says that if you start to walk in the council of the ungodly (listening to what they have to say) you will end up standing in the way of sinners (taking their advice) and that will result in you sitting in the seat of mockers (you will be just like them).
It is amazing how many of God’s people want all the best that God has for them, however they are running their lives according to the dictates of this world’s system and then they wonder why they end up in trouble. God created you – He knows what is best for you. Unless you do things His way –always — you will have trouble.
When God’s word becomes the final authority in your life — you will shut out the council of the ungodly and begin to delight yourself in the Lord. When you delight yourself in the word of God you will be like a tree planted by the rivers of living water and you will bring forth your fruit in season and your leaf shall not wither and whatever you do will prosper.
I encourage you to take stock of your life — locate where YOU are by asking yourself these three questions: am I Walking, am I Standing or am I Sitting?
- Am I patterning my life after the world’s standards — does the world dictate the standards I set for my life? If I am living according to the world’s standards, then I would have to conclude that I am walking in the counsel of the ungodly.
- Do I fit in with sinners and feel at home with their company — is what they do and what they say — what I do and what I say? I can then conclude that I am now standing in the way of sinners.
- Am I in a state of apathy in my walk with the Lord — am I critical of everything that God is doing – am I critical of spiritual leaders and the church in general? I can then conclude that I am now sitting in the seat of mockers.
This is a downhill progression. I don’t start off sitting in the seat of mockers. This deception takes place over a period of time. I slowly digress to the place where my life is totally open to poverty, lack and the attack of the enemy. This all happens because I have placed something else first in my life other than God and His counsel. In order to change and to begin to experience the blessing rather than the curse, I have to make some radical changes in my life and my habits.
- I need to separate myself from those who are ungodly. I can minister to them, but I do not allow them to minister to me. I will pull them up to my level and not allow them to pull me down to their level.
- I must not allow sin in any form to take hold in my life. I must guard my heart first because my heart attitude is central to every other aspect of my life. My thought life must be yielded to the Word and the Spirit of God.
- I must keep myself free from a critical spirit and make sure that my heart stays pure. I must avoid becoming cynical and ending up a mocker.
- I need to make sure that my life follows the pattern that God’s word has laid out for me and that I daily meditate in the Word of God. God’s Word must be my delight.
When these steps are a way of life then I know that according to God’s word I will be like a tree that is planted by the rivers of living water. I am going to bring forth good fruit and whatever I do will prosper.© Copyright 2016 admin, All rights Reserved. Written For: Rodney Howard Browne